Skip to content

Corbels For A Mantel Piece

Corbels For A Mantel Piece

Corbels For A Mantel Piece

A customer sent us a photo of a mantel piece that they had built using the timber corbels that we sell.

As I started writing this blog, it got me thinking, why is it called a mantel piece ?

So I asked the most trusted source that I know .... Google, and came up with the following answer.

The fireplace mantel or mantelpiece, also known as a chimneypiece, originated in medieval times as a hood that projected over a fire grate to catch the smoke. The term has evolved to include the decorative framework around the fireplace, and can include elaborate designs extending to the ceiling.

It could be debated as to whether this is more mantel piece or mantel shelf, but either way, the use of these carved corbels is a great way to decorate a feature above a fireplace.

Below is a photo of just 3 of the different carved corbels that we sell. In total there is 29 that make up the collection in a range of different sizes. All of these can be found in our online shop.

Previous article Legs, Legs, Legs
Next article Timber Dowel Lighting