How To Install Fence Post Capitals
Materials From Hammersmith
- Titebond PROvantage Construction Adhesive
- Traditional Turned Fence Post Capitals
- Pyramid Style Fence Post Capitals
- Double ended galvanised dowel screws (100mm in length)
- Cordless Drill (7mm drill bit)
- Vice Grips
Level Of Difficulty:
Learn how to install a fence post capital on a fence post.
Mark out the centre of the top of your post:
- Rule from opposite corner to corner and mark centre point.
- Drill 50mm (half the length of screws) deep in centre point.
TIP: Use a nail and hammer to tap a drill guide point in the centre.
Attach Fence Post Capital:
- With vice grips, secure the screw and wind into the top of your drill hole until the screw has half its length remaining.
- Once screwed in, remove vice grips.
- Apply construction adhesive around the base of the screw where the post capital will sit.
NOTE: To avoid adhesive seeping from your post capital only use a small circle around the base- don't cover the post head.
- Take your turned capital and wind down onto the screw until flush with your post head.
- Ensure screwed on tight.
If you are using a Pyramid Fence Post Capital it is a much faster installation:
- Make sure the top of your fence post is nice and clean
- Place adhesive on top of the post and the inside of the capital
- Position capital over the post, slide down and apply pressure before leaving to set
You May Also Like
Want To Receive More Advice?
Follow us to receive the latest updates